Oh, let Thanksgiving begin.
My baby seester called me for pie advice this week.
I sent her some recipes for paleo pecan pie that she could bring to her office Thanksgiving potluck.
She thanked me with two words: love you!
I just love giving food advice.
Especially pie advice.
Have I ever mentioned that I’m a pie girl?
Yes, I love my cake and my cookies…but pie, I’ll eat it all day everyday.
I guess you know why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.
Give me pie, or give me death!
My pie has to have a crisp crust.
Heck, I could just eat an entire thing of crispy pie crust.
But then there’s this filling.
It’s naturally sweetened w/ bananas and dates and stuffed w/ chopped pecans in every bite.
No added sugar, you say?
You won’t miss it, trust me.
Did I mention these are mini sized pecan pies?
Yep, you can thank me later.
- For the crust:
- 1¾ c. almond flour
- 1 T. ground flaxseed meal + 3 T. warm water (flax egg: let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ t. arrowroot powder
- ¼ t. coarse sea salt
- For the filling:
- 1 c. pitted Medjool dates, soaked in water overnight
- 1 small, very ripe banana
- ½ c. unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. pure vanilla extract
- 2 t. ground flaxseed meal
- 1 t. arrowroot powder
- 1 c. pecans, plus more for topping
- For the crust, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 6 small tart pans (or pie pans) with cooking spray.
- Combine all of the crust ingredients in a large food processor, processing on high until the crust forms a large ball.
- Press the crust evenly into each of the prepared tart pans.
- Bake the pie crusts for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden.
- For the filling, place the medjool dates, banana, coconut milk, cinnamon, vanilla, flaxseed meal, and arrowroot into a food processor and process on high until smooth.
- Pulse in 1 c. of pecans and process until pecans are chopped finely.
- Divide the filling evenly into each pie crust.
- Arrange whole pecan halves in a circular design on top of each pie filling.
- Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the filing is cooked through.
- Let cool slightly and then devour.