These summer weekends just keep getting more and more relaxing.
Well, for me at least.
My dad had 95% blockage in his nose so he elected to get nose surgery last Thursday.
I’m pretty sure he thought that he was going to be up the next day running in tip-top shape, mowing the lawn, and building a fence in the back yard.
I am not sure why people choose to go under the knife for aesthetic reasons and go through all that pain when my poor dad did just so he could breathe!
I don’t think I have ever seen him hurt this bad.
Although, he did have a bout of food poisoning one time that I swear was worse than his motor cycle accident.
Let’s talk about food, shall we?
I was so excited for this month’s Secret Recipe Club when I learned that Mary Anne and Mariel, the awesome mother-daughter duo behind the blog, Feast on the Cheap, were my secret recipe friends. Mary Anne has worked for 20+ years in the catering industry and Mariel is a fledging foodie who learned about all things cooking and baking for the best of the best, her mother.
As I was perusing through their extensive recipe list, I found what my heart desired, Peanut Butter and Jelly Brownies.
Mhhhhhhm. I did a little switcheroo and substituted the peanut butter for cashew butter. You can totally go the pb route b/c we all know that peanut butter love is strong on this blog. It just so happens that I eat so much of it…I was out.
Just imagine an ooey, gooey, chocolate brownie swirled with slightly salty cashew butter and
sweet berry preserves.
I mean, these flavors are genius.
Definitely an appropriate dessert to bring to a backyard summer barbecue.
Or ya know, if you need to drown your sorrows because some stupid guy broke your heart, you failed a test, or your boss is a major biotch…
these brownies are your go to pick me up.
Plus, they are paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, and just all around freaking delicious.
- 3 T. coconut butter, slightly melted
- 3 T. unsweetened applesauce
- 6 oz. dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 c. coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 t. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ c. coconut flour
- ¼ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ c. cashew butter
- ½ c. jam or fruit preserves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 in square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut butter, applesauce, melted chocolate, coconut sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Use a spoon to ladle dollops of peanut butter on top of the brownie batter, spacing evenly.
- Then ladle dollops of jam right next to the peanut butter.
- Use the tip of a knife to marbleize and spread the peanut butter & jam – you can create a pretty pattern or just smear it across the top, it’s up to you. Just make sure to distribute relatively evenly so you get a taste of PB&J in every bite.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly, slice into squares and serve.