A couple of weeks ago my older cousin mentioned to me that he had eaten the best Paleo meatloaf at one of his new fave Paleo restaurants in New York, Hu Kitchen. After checking out the Hu Kitchen website, not only was I jealous that I didn’t have one here, but I felt the need to create my own version of each item on the menu. It all just looked so good! Yesterday, I got to work on this meatloaf.
Now, all I need to do is find someway to incorporate bacon into my morning smoothie this week…
Mexican-Style Sweet and Spicy Turkey Lettuce Wraps:
1 T. olive oil
1 lb. ground turkey (I used 97% fat content)
1 orange bell pepper, seeds discarded, roughly chopped
1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. ground chipotle powder
1/2 t. ground Spanish paprika
1/2 t. ground chile powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. green onions, roughly chopped
1 bunch of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
juice of 1 lime
1 large head of iceberg lettuce
1. Heat olive oil in a heavy frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, saute for about 3 minutes, just until the mixture has “sweat down” a bit.
3. Add the spices and mix thoroughly, cook for around 1 minute.
4. Add the ground turkey and salt, cooking over a medium-high heat. Make sure to break apart the turkey with the back of a wooden spoon as it cooks.
5. Cook the turkey for about 5 minutes, or until it begins to brown.
6. When the turkey is lightly browned, add the green onions and cook for about 2 minutes.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
8. Spoon 2-3 large spoonfuls of the turkey mixture into each piece of lettuce. Top the meat mixture with salsa (see recipe below).
Pineapple Apple Salsa:
1 Serrano pepper, seeds discarded, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds discarded, finely chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/4 c. cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 c. pineapple, cut into small chunks
1 pink lady apple, peeled and cored, roughly chopped
juice of 1 lime
1 T. distilled white vinegar
salt, to taste
1. Prepare everything as noted. Place all ingredients, except for lime, vinegar, and salt into a large bowl.
2. Toss everything together with the lime juice and vinegar.
3. Season to taste with salt.