Anyone ready for summer?
I’m loving the heat.
I’m sure I’ll be sick of it by June and want to think of nothing but Christmas trees and hot chocolate.
That’s what happens when you live in Texas.
It’s Secret Recipe Club time.
Jane has a ton of delicious recipes, many of them gluten-free!
Oh, oh…and a ton of them are chocolate recipes. So naturally, I just had to pick a recipe with chocolate.
Jane’s Gluten-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies spoke to me.
I love that Jane uses gluten-free flour but I wanted to challenge myself and make these paleo friendly.
So, I shut one eye and used coconut flour.
I also substituted coconut sugar for brown sugar.
This was one of those times where things comes out perfect on the first try.
The cookies are super chewy with a whole lot of cocoa flavor.
I replaced the butter in the recipe with my homemade cashew butter and oh mah…
the angels sang.
Oh and that up there is a paleo substitute for peanut butter.
You know I love my peanut butter, but I’m trying to branch out.
Enter a cashew butter date spread.
If you have time to make date puree just to get one tablespoon for the spread, be my guest.
Otherwise, it works just fine with maple syrup 🙂
This is sandwich cookie heaven.
It’s a little bit salty,
a little bit sweet,
and a whole lot of goodness!
Thanks Jane! Can’t wait to try more recipes from your site 🙂
- For the cookies:
- ¼ c. cashew butter (or nut/seed butter of your choice)
- ¾ c. coconut sugar
- 1 t. pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 T. coconut flour
- ⅓ c. unsweetened, cocoa powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. salt
- For the filling:
- ½ c. cashew butter
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 2 T. pure maple syrup
- For the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cashew butter, sugar, vanilla and egg until smooth.
- Stir in the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoons onto the cookie sheet and slightly flatten the cookie dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until firm and slightly browned.
- For the filling, combine all of the filling ingredients until smooth.
- When the cookies are cooled, place a bit of filling on the underside of one cookie and sandwich with another cookie.