Lately, I’ve been pretty focused.
Work and school are consuming the majority of my time.
However, I have not let food take a back seat to my crazy life.
We all know what happens when food isn’t a priority.
In my case, I get stressed, lose weight, become irritable, start snapping at people, and get the overall “hangries.”
And nobody wants that.
So, Secret Recipe Club is just what I need to take my life off of responsibilities today.
Mallory is pretty awesome.
Why, may you ask?
Because she likes chocolate…no explanation needed. 🙂
Sooooo, of course, with a blog title like that, I couldn’t resist making something with chocolate.
Oh, and because I looooooove chocolate, I chose to make Mallory’s Skinny Cheesecake Brownie Bites.
Now, you know…I detest that word “skinny.”
A few years back, my great aunts would always walk up, grab my arm, and say “Ooooooh, so skinny, go eat some pasta.”
To me, it just wasn’t an attractive word.
I felt criticized for being thin.
I can’t tell you how good the word “healthy” feels when I get that now.
I will make an exception for the word “skinny” when it comes to food, though.
It’s totally cute in that instant and makes me a feel a bit better about what I’m indulging in.
Y’all…you can’t taste the skinny anywhere in these brownies!
They are super rich, yet not chocolate overkill because of the awesome cheese cake swirl throughout the center.
It’s the best of both desserts: silky, creamy, cheese cake, with moist, decadent brownies.
Plus, while we are on the skinny train…I used gluten-free oat flour, and ya know…added some homemade cream cheese frosting on top.
Now they are extra skinny cheesecake brownies.
I’m pretty sure you don’t need much more confirmation than that.
Just throw all of that responsibility out the window today.
Or, you know…just place it on the ledge.
Eat a cheesecake brownie.
Or two…because/ya know…they are skinny and bite-sized.
- For the brownies:
- ⅓ c. brown sugar ( I used coconut sugar)
- ¼ c. white sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 large egg
- ½ c. unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ t. vanilla bean paste
- ⅓ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ c. all-purpose flour (I used gluten-free oat flour)
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. baking soda.
- For the cheesecake batter:
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- 2 T. brown sugar ( I used Truvia baking blend)
- ½ t. vanilla bean paste (or pure vanilla extract)
- 1 large egg yolk
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz. light cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 T. pure honey
- ½ t. pure vanilla extract
- For the brownies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a mini muffin pan with cooking spray, or an 8x8 in. brownie pan with cooking spray.
- Place the sugar, egg, apple sauce, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
- For the cheesecake batter, using a stand mixer, whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- If you are using the brownie pan, dollop the cheesecake mixture all over the top of the brownie mixture and use a knife to run the cheesecake mixture in a figure 8 like pattern over the brownies.
- If you are using a muffin pan, dollop about a pinky size worth over each mini-muffin cup filled w/ brownie batter and use a toothpick to swirl.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes if you are using the brownie pan, or 13-15 minutes for the mini muffins.
- Let cool completely.
- Slice the brownies into bite sized squares.
- For the cream cheese frosting, combine all of the ingredients in a stand mixture and whip until smooth.
- Spread the frosting over each "bite" of cheesecake brownie.