Summer is upon us.
I left work the other day, walked one block in the 90 degree heat, and was dripping in sweat by the time I reached my car.
It doesn’t really help when I have to wear all black to work either.
I mean, c’mon employers…this is texas, we should be able to wear neon in this weather.
Not to mention, I burned my leg sitting on the scorching hot leather seats in my car.
Oh, and of course, just when the heat hits…my air conditioner decides that it is going to take about 30 minutes to click on.
Oh.my.god. dripping sweat bullets is not fun.
Neither is getting stares from some homies on the side of the road just because I have my windows rolled down and am blasting Tim Mcgraw radio.
White girl problems right there.
I love, love, love the summer, but the Texas heat is a different kind of animal.
I want to sit by the pool all day w/ a good stack of trashy magazines, and a big pitcher of ice cold sangria.
I also want all of my snack, desserts, etc., etc. to be summer inspired.
Anything with poppy seeds reminds me of summer.
Oh, and don’t let these muffins full you…no lemons here.
Nope, I went crazy and made these ORANGE poppyseed muffins.
Because I love to step outside of my comfort zone like that.
I’m sure you were shocked!
These muffins are slightly sweet with all the flavor of a zesty orange.
Plus, those poppy seeds make for a great beady texture w/ eat bite.
Oh, and they are made with stevia.
Only because I’m awesome like that.
- ⅓ c. + 3 T. liquid egg whites
- ¼ c. granulated stevia
- ¼ c. full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ c. coconut flour
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ t. baking soda
- zest of 1 small orange, plus more for garnish
- 1 T. poppyseeds
- slightly melted coconut butter, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin cup pan w/ paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, stevia, coconut milk, and evoo.
- Stir in the coconut flour, salt, baking soda, orange zest, and poppy seeds.
- Pour the batter into each prepared muffin cup, filling about ¾ full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into each muffin comes out clean.
- Serve topped w/ melted coconut butter and a bit of fresh orange zest if desired.