S.O.S.

Rain!

I think I did a rain dance in my sleep and boom!

Like magic…glorious rain fell this morning carrying with it a fun thunderstorm.

Love that.

On Saturday night around 11:30 I woke up from my slumber to two missed phone calls.

I didn’t recognize the 281 # because I was half asleep.

Then, the same number texted me and duh…it was my grandmother.

The Italian one.

I figured it was an emergency so I better call her back.

Oh, it was definitely an emergency.

She had some barbecue brisket to deliver and was parked right outside the house…at nearly midnight.

Y’all…food is always an emergency in my family.

Of course I was thrilled!

I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

I met her husband (I say her husband because she remarried after my grandpa passed)…if you saw my grandmother, you would know why, she’s an absolutely gorgeous person inside and out.

Anyway, do you know how good brisket tastes at midnight?

Especially when they drove all the way to Elgin during the day to have barbecue at one of my favorite hole in the wall barbecue meat markets.

It’s one of those “serve til’ they run out places.”

It’s called City Meat Market and it is totally legit Texas barbecue, served on big plasters of parchment paper.

Anyway, those tender pieces of brisket were pure bliss.

Like I said…food is always an emergency in my family.

IMG_2519

Cookies and barbecue are kinda the same thing…right?

IMG_2520

In terms of food emergencies, they definitely are.

IMG_2523

Thank goodness I’m a cookie whiz.

IMG_2524

I’m pretty sure I come up with cookie recipes in my sleep.

IMG_2525

Sometimes I wake up from a dream and I ask myself “whoa, did that really just happen?”

IMG_2529

But when I have food dreams I’m like…whoa, (jumps out of bed and rushed over to table to grab notepad and pen to jot down recipe).

IMG_2530

Please tell me you do this too ;)

5.0 from 1 reviews

Double Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Author:
Recipe type: Cookies
Cuisine: American
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Serves: 18

Big, soft, cookies with an intense almond butter flavor…chock full of chocolate chips. Gluten-free, vegan, and paleo.
Ingredients
  • 1 T. flaxseed meal + 3 T. water (to make 1 flax egg)
  • 1 c. coconut sugar
  • 1 c. unsalted, roasted almond butter
  • 1 t. pure vanilla extract
  • 1 t. instant espresso powder
  • 1 t. salt
  • ¼ c. coconut flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • ½ c. vegan chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flax egg, coconut sugar, almond butter, vanilla, espresso powder, and salt, mixing until just combined.
  3. Stir in the coconut flour and baking powder until a dough begins to form.
  4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  5. Roll the dough into heaping tablespoon sized balls. Place each piece of dough onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly using the palm of your hand.
  6. Cover the tray with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  7. Bake the cookies for 7-8 minutes, or until slightly golden brown.
  8. Let cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Nutritional Facts (per cookie): Total Calories: 146 Total Fat: 14.5g (1.9g unsaturated fat), Sodium: 164.5mg, Potassium: 105.7mg, Total Carb: 12.6g, Dietary Fiber: 3.1g, Sugars: 7.3g, Protein: 2.2g

MANGIA!!!

Comments

1. These look awesome! I love anything with almond butter!

2. Tammy says:

Hello, those cookies look awesome, but my tastebuds can’t handle flaxseed they gross me out ! What to do?

• Chelsy says:

haha! No problem. I would replace it with a large egg if you aren’t vegan or use ground chia seed powder instead. :)

3. Love these cookies! I make one that is similar, however I use dates instead of coconut sugar. Works well with or without a binding ingredient as the dates are quite sticky. Great texture on these though, and thats tough with Paleo.

4. ALlison says:

I just made these and although the taste is great, my cookies came out really crumbly. I thought refrigerating the dough for the hour would make a difference, but they just came out of the oven and basically fall apart into tiny crumbs. :(

• Chelsy says:

Allison, I am so sorry that happened. I make these often and have never had that happen before. The only thing I can think of is that it might be the almond butter, it needs to be non-drippy, so that the cookies hold their shape better. I have used a stir type of almond butter in my cookie recipes before and they have fallen apart. :/ Or it could be the coconut flour, which can make things fall apart as well. I’m not sure. Again, I apologize, never had that happen with this recipe :)

5. Wow!!! This is the first paleo recipe I’ve ever tried. Didn’t believe they would taste nearly as good as “normal” cookies, but heck they were better!!! No problem with crumbling, But the chocolate chips seemed opposed to blending with the batter, I worked with them though. These are rich and awesome. Thanks!!

6. Courtney says:

Tried these last night and they taste amazing!! Substituted flax for whole chia seeds (chia egg I guess as I added water) – yums! Might try with cashew butter and dark cherries next. Thanks for the recipe!

• Chelsy says:

Courtney, that is awesome! Improvisation is key :) Cashew butter sounds amazing right now! :)

7. Jessica says:

Not sure what I did wrong, but these did not work at all for me! I had a sticky, gooey MESS! I had a problem getting the ingredients stirred together so I had to add almond milk just to get them to come together. Then, when I baked them, they didn’t want to come off the parchment paper…no matter what I did. I finally turned them into bars and cut them apart but they were still quite gooey. On a positive note, they tasted really yummy!

• Chelsy says:

Hmmmmmmm you got me Jessica. I make these constantly and have never had a problem. :/ I apologize, not sure what happened.

8. I just tried to make your cookies but as usual did not have all the right ingredients. I used brown sugar, chia powder, almond AND hazelnut butter and chickpea flour. I was a little worried for the outcome because I don’t have much experience with gluten free flours but they turned out great, had to hide them away. The only problem that I had was to incorporate the chocolate chips but next time I will add them on top of the pre-formed cookies to save the effort.
    Thanks for the idea, keep posting!

9. Paul Ceballos says:

I just made this right now they came out awesome and taste wonderful!!!!

10. Chelsy says:

Awesome Paul! So glad you enjoyed them!

11. I just made these cookies but I will have to try again. I used egg repacement powder because lack of chia seeds in the house. I also didnt freezed them before baking. They went for 10 min in the 350F oven and they came out completely flat. Maybe next time I have better luck.
    Thank you for sharing the recipe.

12. Chelsy says:

Hey Ben,
    I found that putting them in the refrigerator before hand really helped with the baking process. Try that!

Trackbacks

1. [...] I shared a bomb cookie recipe w/ y’all earlier this [...]

2. [...] 1. Double Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Flaxseed is the stand in for ordinary flour here, so you’re getting some protein in these cookies, as well as omega-3s. They’re also using almond butter to get a nice consistency on these cookies. Like any good paleo chocolate chip recipe they’re using dark chocolate for the chocolate chips. They also say you can opt for vegan chocolate chips, which will likely be just as good for you as the dark chocolate, and will cut out anything that would be Paleo unfriendly. In just over an hour your home will be filled with the classic aroma of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and you’ll be on cloud nine. [...]

3. [...] Double Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies [...]