B is for…

You remember that stuff I made yesterday?

Well, yea, prepared to be wowed.

I’m about to make you dessert with it.

But first, let’s talk death.

I know, what a depressing subject, huh?

Today I am attending my GREAT Uncle Joe’s funeral.

I put great in all CAPS b/c that is what he was…absolutely freaking GREAT.

He was 95 years old with a full head of dark Italian hair.

He is probably still growing hair as we speak.

He was exactly what you think of when you think of an old Italian man: about 4’6, shiny black boots, crisp white shirts, a handkerchief in his pocket, and hair slicked back with jet fuel 😉

My “Unca” Joe even owned his own Italian restaurant in Houston called Joe Matranga’s FOR-EV-ER!

If that’s not Italian I don’t know what is.

Just think red checkered table cloths & homemade pasta and meatballs.

My dad proposed to my mom at that restaurant.

The best thing about Unca Joe was his funny sense of humor and his angelic voice.

Man could make you fall off your seat laughing and at the same time, make you tear up when he sang opera.

Think Andrea Boccelli meets Michael Corleone (only 95 years old).

Keeping with the Italian theme of the past two days.

Nutella is Italian, right?

Let’s make something with it.

I just can’t even stop looking at this stuff.

It’s just that good 😉

This stuff is probably lethal.

Death by chocolate chips, anyone?

I think I’m developing an addiction to chocolate.

That can’t be all that bad…can it?

It can’t be worse than my coconut addiction.

You know it took every bit of my well being NOT to put coconut up in this business.

I mean…who is this chocolate lover all of the sudden?

Did I mention these things have like 4 ingredients? Well, minus the chocolate chips.

But chocolate chips are practically calorie free so they totally don’t count.

Oh, not to mention these things are paleo, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and have the potential to be vegan.

It’s a win-win-win situation. :)

4-Ingredient Flour-less Chocolate Chunk Nutella Brownies (GF/V.O./P)

1 c. Homemade Nutella (store bought is fine also)

2 large eggs (or equivalent of 2 flax eggs or egg replacer for vegan version)

1/4 c. coconut flour

1/4 c. unsweetened, vanilla almond milk

pinch of salt

sea salt, for topping

1 c. vegan mega chocolate chunks (I used the Enjoy Life brand), divided

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 in. square baking pan with cooking spray.

Combine all of the ingredients + 1/2 c. of the chocolate chunks , mixing well until smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 c. of chocolate chunks evenly over the top of the batter.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean.

Let the brownies cool completely before cutting.

Cut into even squares and sprinkle each with a pinch of sea salt.

Makes 9-12 brownies.

1. Lauren says:

These look awesome!!! Do you think it will still work if i use regular flour and regular milk?

• Chelsy says:

Lauren! Thanks! Totally should work, however, coconut flour is a bit more dense than regular flour, so if the batter isn’t thick enough, i would add flour by the tablespoon until it is the correct consistency :)

2. debra says:

I enjoyed your recipe but especially enjoyed the comments about your uncle Joe. We were regulars at his restaurant for years untill it closed in 1990. He was a wonderful man. Nothing compares with his meat sauce. If you have Joe Matranga’s meat sauce recipe would LOVE to have a copy

• Chelsy says:

Debra, Wow! How did you find my blog? My great uncle Joe unfortunately passed away late last year. He was the same vibrant, beautiful, soul with a full-head of hair might i add…even in his late 90’s! My dad, his nephew, actually proposed to my mom at his restaurant and I would frequent there and eat bowls of his meat sauce when I was little. I miss him so much! I’m sure getting his meat sauce recipe would be something like getting a Dr. Pepper recipe 😉 Thank you so much for stopping in. I would sit and chat with Uncle Joe all the time and I loooooooved his stories about Matranga’s…he was truly an amazing man!

• Rosemary says:

Did you ever give out your Great Uncle Joe Matranga’s spaghetti recipe? I’m sure there are many of us who would love to have it. I, too, had frequented his restaurant with my parents and my children. I could relate well with the large picture on the wall of a child with spaghetti all over him. My parents are probably enjoying his spaghetti in heaven now. He was a very congenial host at his restaurant and made everyone feel as if they were family.

• Chelsy says:

Rosemary, my uncle Joe was a wonderful person, however, when it comes to his recipes, they are a family secret :) He was more of a “if I tell you…I’d have to kill you” kind of guy regarding his cooking. As a child, I grew up watching him and my grandfather make their pasta, pasta sauce, and meatballs and there was really no method that they used. It was all trial and error…no measurements needed, just a handful of this, a scoop of that :) My father learned how to cook that way and has passed it on to me! I miss my Uncle Joe every day. You are correct, he was a very warm and friendly host at his restaurant and his main goal was to make people feel like family when eating at his restaurant. He definitely achieved that :) Thank you for remembering him, I wish he and his restaurant were still alive, but in my family, we still honor him by keeping with tradition…pasta on Sunday’s with the family. Thank you for reading!

• Chelsey, I remember Joe’s son used to entertain in the back room of the restaurant. We would ask if he was going to carry on in his fathers’s footsteps which he told us No. I have spent most of my life trying to find someone or anyone that was comparable to Joe’s! Three generations of my family went there as we lived right down the street on Avenue of Oaks. I regret to inform you that no one has even come close!!! The last time I was there was in the late 70’s. God Bless your Family as Joe blessed so many of us with his once in a lifetime Italian marvel!!!

• Chelsy says:

Mark, it’s so great to hear that you grew up and frequented my Uncle Joe’s restaurant. I get more comments about him on my blog than anything. My dad actually proposed to my mother there and I grew up as a child eating his pasta and meatballs at that restaurant. He passed away about two years ago and we miss him every day. He was such a great man, and had a full head of hair even in his 90’s! I wish that we still had his restaurant to make more memories, but for know, we will just remember how great it was to have him :)