What what now?
Two posts in one day?
Totally not me.
I mean, why would you want to see a second post about food?
Why would you not want to?
It’s totally because I missed you for about nine hours and felt like we needed to catch up.
I’m totally lying.
Kind of. 🙂
I totally need to find another word for totally. Totally…
The truth is, tomorrow (today if you are reading this Wednesday) Tastespotting is celebrating National Salad Day and guess what? They are featuring salad recipes all day long.
Salad is my thing.
I have one at every meal…or with my meal. You can bet that I have given a waiter (or two) at restaurants the stank eye when they informed me that my roasted chicken didn’t come with a side salad, but instead, a measly pile of mashed potatoes with gravy (that probably came from a frozen bag).
Excuse me? I’ll pay $2.50 to have that side salad added to my meal…and you can keep those mashed potatoes…just please send out some hot, buttered bread and we will be bff’s for life.
High maintenance much? You bet.
Don’t mess with my insalata.
I will get rough.
This salad is a no fuss meal.
Let’s roast some veggies.
zucchini and asparagus.
This salad is super duper green-ified.
Could ya tell?
You knew this was a salad with kale, right?
Stop! Let’s talk about this dressing situation.
This dressing seriously is the BEST dressing I have ever made.
I can’t even.
It starts w/ coconut milk yogurt.
Ahhhh, my new bff.
Then we add some dijon, honey,
and juice of a mandarin orange.
Then…oh, then we add the ingredient that makes everything worth while…
Hello, I’m down here…face-planted into this creamy, coconutty bowl of goodness.
This salad is a bowl of spring and summer.
Especially with that toasted coconut business.
Oh, and the roasted asparagus and zucchini…well, you get it.
And the living is good 🙂
I am not lying when I say this is THE BEST salad I have made all year.
I took the veggies right out of the oven and poured them immediately over the kale,
which slightly wilted the kale.
Then, I added the dressing, more toasted coconut, and tossed everything together.
Seriously…a bowl of heaven.
I can’t even.
I’m 100% sure that I was transported to the coast of Italy after one bite of this thing.
I’m pretty sure there were chilled bottles of prosecco involved as well.
Yes, prosecco…because we are in Italy.
Now, if we were in Mexico…I’d suggest margaritas.
But we can save that nonsense for Sunday.
I mean there is always room for margaritas.
Oh, and don’t forget
a few hot cabana guys to serve us those drinks.
Is it Friday yet? 🙂
- For the salad:
- ½ c. unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 large zucchini squash, roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb. of asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 4ths
- extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 large bunch of lacinato kale, ribs removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- For the dressing:
- 6 oz. container of plain, coconut milk yogurt (I used So Delicious)
- 2 T. Dijon mustard (can substitute maple syrup for strict vegan)
- 1½ T. honey
- juice of 1 small tangerine
- 2 T. of toasted coconut (reserved from the coconut toasted for the salad)
- For the coconut, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the coconut out evenly over the baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minutes, or until the coconut is lightly golden. Pour the coconut into a bowl and set aside.
- Bump the temperature up to 400 degrees F.
- Place the veggies on the baking sheet and toss with the extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and sizzling.
- For the dressing, place all of the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Place the kale in a large mixing bowl, add the roasted veggies (you can cool them slightly if you want), the remaining toasted coconut, and 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
- Toss everything together until evenly coated.