Little Miss Predictable.

I’m becoming pretty freaking predictable.

Well, in some areas more than others :)

Like, every day around 4 o’ clock I have some ginger tea.

It’s caffeine free and is great for digestion.

But I drink it because OMG the flavor!

I also start my morning the exact same: wake up, let dogs out, feed dogs, eat breakfast, check social media, blog, workout, more blog stuff, bake, cook, eat, work, enjoy.

Oh, and at any given moment of the day you might catch me with my hand in the peanut butter jar.

But…if it’s not peanut butter (gasp!), it’s coconut.

Yep, if you have been reading for a while, you know I am addicted to two things: peanut butter and coconut.

IMG_1213

Today, it’s coconut.

IMG_1218

Surprise, surprise.

IMG_1219

I frequent a small Mediterranean restaurant/market near my house and let’s just say that the baklava is so so, but the coconut macaroons…well,

IMG_1222

they are pretty freaking legit. Chewy on the inside, crispy on the edges, made with eggs, coconut, and nothing else.

IMG_1223

So, there I sat two weeks ago trying to reincarnate these babies.

IMG_1224

Magic happened…then I dipped/drizzled them in a “cocoa” glaze.

IMG_1225

Because I needed a chocolate fix.

IMG_1227

Because coconut needs chocolate sometimes.

IMG_1228

See: Girl Scout Samoa’s and Almond Joy bars.

IMG_1229

Because y’all need chocolate.

IMG_1230

Because life needs chocolate.

IMG_1231

So, if you don’t mind, I’d like to remain predictable with my coconut things.

IMG_1234

Watch out though…I’m bound to throw some curve balls.

IMG_1235

Like, what if I made peanut butter brownies instead of peanut butter cookies?

IMG_1241

Soooooo outside of my comfort zone ;)

IMG_1246

5.0 from 6 reviews

Paleo Coconut Macaroons
Author:
Recipe type: Cookies, Dessert,
Cuisine: American
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Serves: 17

Chewy coconut macaroons made paleo w/ honey and dipped/topped in a simple cocoa glaze. Gluten-free/Paleo.
Ingredients
  • For the macaroons:
  • 2 c. unsweetened, shredded coconut
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 t. pure vanilla extract
  • ½ c. pure honey
  • For the cocoa glaze:
  • 2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder (or cacao powder)
  • 1 T. melted coconut oil

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the macaroons until a sticky dough begins to form.
  3. Drop the dough by a rounded tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheet.
  4. Using the back of a spoon, gently press onto the top of the macaroon, making a slight “well” on the top.
  5. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges.
  6. Let the macaroons cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  7. Whisk the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
  8. Dip the bottom of each macaroon in the glaze and/or drizzle with the glaze.

Nutritional Facts (per macaroon w/ glaze):  Total Calories: 87kcal, Total Fat: 4.9g, Sodium: 11.5g, Carbs: 10.7g, Sugars: 9.4g, Protein: 1.3g

MANGIA!!!

Comments

1. I’m pretty predictable, too!! I love coconut. I love chocolate. I love coconut with chocolate. I love chocolate with coconut. See my pattern!!!? It runs in the family!!! Dang, Chelsy, everyday is special with your baking!!!

2. Justine says:

You’re hilarious. Love this recipe. Am def gonna try this. :)

Thank you!!

3. Damn those where yummy I suggest letting them crisp a little more

4. Looove these! I put them in a mini muffin pan though for portion control/laziness and used 1/4th cup of honey (its all I had on hand) and they were delicious! A rare occurrence that I bake something and my husband snatches a few before they cool down. (He doesn’t share my love/obsession of sweets) Also, I posted this recipe to reddit. :)

• Chelsy says:

Beth! You are a genius! Love that idea :) I sometimes do that with my pancake batter and make little mini pancake muffins. Thanks for posting to reddit! Yes, these cookies are addicting…so glad you and your husband are sharing a love for them :) !

5. Hi Chelsy! This is the healthiest recipe I’ve come across for macaroons! Thanks so much. I’m just wondering- do you separate the egg yokes/whites out or just throw the whole egg in to the mixture?

• Chelsy says:

Fran! These things are delicious and addicting! No egg separating here, that is what I love about it! Throw them in whole! Its a one bowl cookie! :)

6. Amazing!!! So delicious! Just featured it on my site. You are fabulous!

• Chelsy says:

Erin! You are too sweet! They look fabulous by the way! Oh, and they just so happen to be my fave macaroon recipe…EVER!

7. Estella says:

I love, love love these macaroons! They were were so good, it took everything I had not to eat all of them! And they were so easy to make! Thank you!

• Chelsy says:

Estella! They do not last a couple of hours in my house! Thanks for stopping by! I’m so glad you enjoyed them :)

8. Nicola Clifton says:

What do the t and T stand for in your recipe?

9. I pinned this recipe a few months ago and have been making these macaroons a lot! They are so easy and cheap and they are SOOOOO good. I half the batch to make 5-6 and i have to MAKE MYSELF not eat them all in one day! Thank you!!

10. Malorie says:

Do you have an instagram? I was going to give you credit and show how I adjusted this a bit! They were yummy!

• Chelsy says:

Malorie! Yes I do! It’s misschelsmangia! The link should be on the right side of my home blog page so that you can follow :) DDo you have a blog? :)

11. I just made this,very easy…but a bit too “eggy” tasting for me,I’m used to using just the whites. I used 1/4 c honey & they held together well – the raw chocolate glaze is excellent.

• Chelsy says:

Thanks Fran! I know people have different tastes so just modify the recipe to your liking and I’m sure it will come out great :) Macaroons are my favorite cookie and I hope that you enjoy them just as much as I do. P.S. I drizzle that chocolate glaze on just about anything I can get my hands on ;) xoxo!

12. Thanks for the recipe! So fast, easy and delish. Not a fan of the glaze but it wasn’t needed in my opinion. Love that the recipe uses whole eggs.

13. Liesbeth says:

It is too runny :-( . Did I use the wrong kind of honey maybe? Mine is not solid..

• Chelsy says:

Liesbeth, try using a thick honey, that is what I use and they come out just fine. Not sure what happened :)

• Hi Chelsy,
        I have the runny problem too! I can’t figure it out. Is there actually different kinds of honey? I think that this is the perfect recipe but I can’t get them to stop running all over.

14. I swapped the honey to Agave as I had it to hand, made them a little bit smaller and and a 10min bake at 180c (fan) Yum yum yum!!

15. Kalpna says:

Didn’t add the cocoa topping as am cutting out chocolate and the macaroons are delicious without. Can not believe how easy they are too make, surely something so tasty should require more work? Thank you for sharing this recipe :-) xx

• Kalpna says:

BTW I din’t use honey either, instead I mixed agave and coconut nectar to 1/2 cup. I also left (read forgot) them in the oven for a while longer till they became nice and brown and toasty. Very yummy as the agave and coconut nectar became caramelised.

16. Hi! We are moving soon so I’m trying to use everything in my cabinets without buying anything new. I’m out of honey and agave. Do you think I could use rice syrup? If so, what quantity?

• Chelsy says:

Brandi…you should totally be able to use rice syrup…I think substitute for equal parts honey or agave or subtract 1/4 c. if that doesn’t work :)

17. Would maple syrup work as a substitute for honey in this recipe? I am low-FODMAP. Would I need to reduce the amount since it tends not to be as thick?

• Chelsy says:

Hmmmmm…normally I would say yes, but it’s difficult to judge with this recipe. Try adding maple syrup little by little and see how it holds up. Can you use coconut nectar syrup or agave? I’m not sure if those are low-FODMAP, but if so, give those a go :)