Gluten-Free Old Fashioned Iced Oatmeal Cookies (recipe slightly adapted from The Novice Chef):
For the cookies:
2 c. rolled oats (gluten-free)
2 c. Cup 4 Cup Gluten-Free Flour (or all purpose flour)
1 T. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground nutmeg
1 t. salt
1 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
For the Icing:
2 cups + 2 T. powdered sugar
5 T. unsweetened, vanilla almond milk, or regular milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two large cookies sheets with butter.
2. In a food processor, pulse the oats until semi ground. (More of a coarse meal than a fine powder).
3. Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the evoo, brown sugar, and sugar until until smooth.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time to the sugar mixture.
6. Add the oat mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring until thoroughly incorporated.
7. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 14-16 minutes, rotating the pans about halfway through the baking process.
8. Bake until lightly golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. For the icing, in a large bowl, whisk the milk and powdered sugar together until smooth.
10. After the cookies have cooled, place the top of a cookie, face down in the bowl of icing, give it a spin to evenly coat, then hold the cookie over the bowl, to drip the excess icing off the cookie. Place the cookie on a solid surface lined with parchment paper and allow the icing to harden. Repeat with the entire batch of cookies.
Makes about 28 large cookies.