One potato, Two potato!
That is what I call a fruit salad!!!
Often imitated, never duplicated…
Chicken at it’s best!
There aren’t even words…
Happy Friday all,
This week has been quite lovely, consisting of work (wait…is it work? I love my new “job” so muy muy that it doesn’t really feel like work…seriously I feel as though I am getting paid to hang out with my new group of friends…or more like a second family if you ask me), eat, workout, eat, eat, did I mention eat? and o yea, sleep. How has your work/school week been? I hope not too busy. If it has been just too busy, think about the great holiday weekend ahead. You might ask, what holiday weekend? I know, I know I have been so occupied with work, etc. I almost forgot that it is September, meaning the first Monday, being this Monday is Labor Day! I can’t believe it’s almost here…before you know it we will be carving turkey’s, holiday shopping, and enjoying the crisp winter air. Well, all of that is true for us Texans minus the actual winter part. We only have one season here in Texas and that is hot, hot, and more hot! So, naturally I am not expecting the “cold” temperatures in the eighties to arrive in Texas until late November. The positive side to that is that every year I can always depend on wearing a cute dress and flip flops for Thanksgiving! Anyhoo, since Labor Day is on Monday I spent some time searching the web for some good-looking Labor Day recipes. For my family, this usually consists of some type of grilled meat, a huge salad, and all the fixins (meaning several side dishes). Don’t forget the Bluebell Homemade Vanilla, because it just wouldn’t be a party without Bluebell. So, here are my top 10 Labor Day recipes for 2011. I hope you all enjoy your holiday weekend and whip out the grill for a good ole’ fashioned barbecue!
Top Ten Labor Day Recipes:
1. Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies from The Pioneer Woman: Jalapeno+Cream Cheese+Bacon…and you want me to eat a main entree? These “thingies” serve as a delicious appetizer, plus they are super duper easy to make, and you won’t be pinching pennies for the ingredients!
2. 7 Layer Crazy Greek Dip by How Sweet It Is: The first time I saw this post, my heart nearly sunk…it was like seeing my first crush, that boy was so cute my heart beat faster and slower at the same time…haha! Anyhoo, it was love at first site and I just wanted to dive into this huge bowl of layered goodness. Truly, this is like a Mediterranean fiesta in a bowl, with layers of hummus, kalamata olive, artichoke hearts, tomato, cucumber, my fave crazy feta cheese, Greek yogurt, garlic and dill! Can you say Opa!? I would serve this baby up as an appetizer with some pita chips. On another note, it is healthier than that traditional 7 layer salad we see on the southern table, you know, the one with five cups of mayonnaise? O yea, you know your cholesterol just shot through the roof!
3. Spiked Pineapple Sweet Tea by My Life As A Mrs.: Yo ho ho and a bottle of vodka? Yes, please. If the kids start to get out of hand, mix yourself up one of these little gems…pretty refreshing. Now, that’s what I call some good ole’ front porch sittin’.
4. Grilled Watermelon and Fennel Salad with Charred Lemon Vinaigrette by Patio Daddio BBQ: I absolutely love watermelon, especially when it is in season and super sweet! There is nothing better than biting into a crisp slice of cool watermelon on a hot summer day and having the juice drip down your face…good times. Anyway, this is an awesome take on a fruit salad using watermelon, feta cheese, and honey…sounds blissful!
5. Barbecued Chicken on the Grill by Simply Recipes: Because what’s a Labor Day Party without barbecued grilled chicken…get some, fast!
6. Chipotle Turkey Burgers from The Kitchen Sink Recipes: Every Labor Day Party needs a good burger and this one takes the bun! Nothing says “Gobble Me Up” like a moist turkey patty seasoned to perfection with cilantro and garlic, layered with juicy tomato, peppery arugula, and red onion, and spread with Dijon mustard and a smoky homemade chipotle ketchup! Don’t forget to top this baby with a slice of melted smoked cheddar cheese. You will hardly miss the beef in this burger…you will thank me later, trust me!
7. Jalapeno-cheese bread from Homesick Texan: Goode Company Barbecue in Houston makes the best jalapeno-cheese bread…it is so thick and dense that it has the ability to sop up an entire bowl of barbecue sauce. This recipe is an almost perfect replica of the stuff from Goode. I eat mine topped with a spoonful of coleslaw and a drizzle of barbecue sauce. I fold the sandwich in half and stuff my face.
8. Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Vinegar by Two Peas and their Pod: You know with all of that jalapeno-cheese bread, you can atleast feel good about eating a second helping of these yummies! Flavorful and crisp to the bite every time! Asparagus spears are simple to make and perfect for a backyard Labor Day barbecue.
9. Potato Salad with Herbed Balsamic Vinaigrette by Brown-Eyed Baker: Because you just can’t have one starch at a Labor Day Party. This is not your average potato salad…you won’t find any mayo here! Look on the bright side, you won’t have to worry about food poisoning if you leave the dish out in the sun for too long! Yikes! This potato salad is rockin’, seasoned with fresh herbs and dressed with a honey Dijon concoction. This would be a perfect addition to any Labor Day party!
10. Berry Cobbler by Our Best Bites + Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla (from a little creamery in Brenham, Tx): Nothing says “Y’all come back now” like homemade cobbler and Blue Bell ice cream! The two together are a dynamic pair, warm cobbler + cool ice cream= pure heaven! If you don’t have Blue Bell where you live, or if you have never heard of it…I am sorry for your loss and I suggest shipping!
Happy Labor Day!!!