I am starting my week off fresh with a new and exciting job interview. Hopefully I will get the position. We. Will. See. Anyhow, this weekend I spent much time relaxing and surfing the web, mostly gazing at various food blogs and keeping up with my Tasty Kitchen community I have joined. If you didn’t already know, I am a member of Tasty Kitchen, which is a community of food bloggers from all over the world that create profiles and share recipes with one another. I discovered this site shortly after I became a fan of The Pioneer Woman’s blog (she is the founder of Tasty Kitchen). I absolutely love Ree Drummond’s (The Pioneer Woman) blog, she is such a hoot! I suggest that you follow her blog, she is a one woman show! Moving on, over the weekend I was browsing through the Tasty Kitchen blog and I stumbled upon this post from fellow blogger Georgia Pellegrini. Immediately, I knew I had to try this recipe, or at least create my own version, and create I did. First off, I love chickpeas, and rather than create another fave of mine, hummus, I decided to whip up a yummy chickpea snack using my own spice mix creation. Basically, I looked for whatever I had on hand in my spice cabinet and put it all together. Bam! Who knew chickpeas could be this good? I mean, really, the spice mix is so fragrant and smoky, covering the chickpeas like a blanket. To top it all off, the chickpeas get toasted in the oven, giving them a crispy exterior. Needless to say, this weekend I did quite a bit of movie watching and this is my new “popcorn-ish” snack. I am telling you, these chickpeas take meatless to a whole notha’ level. I would suggest taking them along with you to work or school for a quick snack, or serving them in individual popcorn containers at your next movie night. Don’t tell anyone my secret, but I put a little Parmesan over the top of these babies when I snack on em’. Guess I have to add a bit of Italian zest to just about anything that I make. Hey, that’s the way the cannoli crumbles! Bada bing, bada boom!
Spiced Oven-Roasted Chickpeas
15 oz. can chickpeas
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. sweet smoked Spanish paprika
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. fresh grated ginger (I used pureed ginger in a small little jar)
2 tsp. sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Place the chickpeas in a mixing bowl and toss them with the olive oil.
3. Combine all the spices in a separate bowl for your spice blend.
4. Give the spices a good mix, then sprinkle the blend over the chickpeas, and toss to coat evenly.
5. Place the chickpeas on a baking sheet or pie plate and into the oven for about 30 minutes.
6. About halfway through, give them a bit of a shake.
7. At the end of the 30 minutes, taste! If they are still soft, back in they go! You want them to have just a little bit of a soft center. When they cool, they will crisp up more.