“The” Ultimate Shroom’ Soup
extra virgin olive oil
1 whole carrot, finely minced
1 whole celery stalk, finely minced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely minced
1 16 oz. package sliced white mushrooms
1/4 c. cabernet sauvignon
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 c. low-sodium vegetable broth
1 pint (16 oz.) yogurt (I used a plain bottled liquid yogurt, you can use heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk if you like)
1/4 c. parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. water
pinch of sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a large deep pot.
2. Mince the carrot, celery, and garlic nice and fine.
3. Toss the carrot and celery into the pot and allow them to soften.
4. In the meantime, roughly chop the slice mushrooms (Don’t forget to wash the mushrooms first…just saying).
5. Next, add your garlic right as the carrots and celery begin to cook down.
6. Add the mushrooms to the pot and allow them to reduce and soften.
7. Pour in the cabernet, and let it cook with the mushrooms for a few minutes.
8. Add the tomato sauce and vegetable broth and bring to a boil for 5 minutes before adding the yogurt.
9. After adding the yogurt, reduce to a soft boil.
10. Add the parmesan to the pot and allow to cook for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and blended with the soup.
11. Add the cornstarch to 1/4 c. water, then pour into the soup (it acts as a thickening agent).
12. Lower the heat and allow the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes or so, until thickened.
13. Salt and pepper the soup to your liking.
Serve with freshly grated parmesan and a sprig of fresh basil. I would suggest using a sleeve of Ritz crackers or freshly toasted garlic bread as a utensil!