Hey ya’ll! So, I decided to “give in” to the all-American holiday spirit and create a red, white, and blue themed dessert. I love fruit desserts, especially crisps and cobblers. To me, there is no better way to enjoy the summer’s best fruits. I am a supermarket-aholic! Seriously, it’s become such an addiction that my sister and I have made friends with the local check-out guy at Central Market. Not to mention…my sister has also made a “friend” with the young, not to mention handsome, counter guy at Whole Foods. Needless to say, he serves her up some tofu just how she likes it…hot and spicy! Hahaha! Anyhow…I simply get my inspiration for dishes by going to the supermarket and browsing the produce isle for fruits and vegetables that are “in season.” Fortunately, summer berries, such as strawberries and blackberries, happen to be at the top of the heap for in season fruits. What do ya know…they happen to be the main event today in my strawberry/blackberry crisp. While I used fresh strawberries in the recipe, I had to resort to using frozen and thawed blackberries. You see…this is because Central Market is obviously oblivious to the recession that we are in and as a result, feels the need to hike up the prices on their blackberries. In other words, they enjoy price inflation. Because I am on a college budget, I feel compelled to purchase the large bag of frozen blackberries for $2.06, than a small 6 oz. carton of fresh “organic” blackberries for $3.99! Also, another thing you will notice in the recipe is that I used the splendid no calorie sweetener, Splenda. I only used a small amount because the berries are already naturally sweetened and this gives them a hint of sweetness, while regular sugar would overpower the natural flavor of the berries. If you don’t like Splenda I have also tried this recipe with 1 TBS of maple syrup, also another time with 1 TBS agave nectar (or honey). It gives the dish that subtle hint of sweetness that it needs. I hope ya’ll are enjoying your 4th of July and eating your hearts intent of red, white, and blue desserts. I have an inkling “flag-themed” cupcakes, cakes, and pies are adorning many of your tables this holiday. Enjoy!
1 32 oz. carton fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1 16 oz. bag frozen blackberries
1/4 c. Splenda
1/2 c. raw walnuts
1 c. raw pecans
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a 7×11 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Stem the strawberries, and using a cutting board, begin to slice the strawberries lengthwise. Cover the baking dish with the strawberries.
4. If the blackberries are not already thawed, thaw them in the bag in a microwave proof bowl for 1 min.
5. Pour the blackberries in the baking dish over the strawberries.
6. Sprinkle the Splenda over the berries and mix to combine.
7. Put pecans, walnuts, and cinnamon into a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.
8. Scatter the nut mixture over the berries and mix to combine.
9. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the berries are bubbling and the topping looks golden brown.
10. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream (My favorite is to serve this dish with a dollop of Greek yogurt, it gives it that balance of tangy/sweet flavor) Also….it wouldn’t hurt to enjoy this dish with a good ole’ heaping of BLUE BELL homemade vanilla ice cream….i’m just saying.